Identity and difference, Changes of alliances, Kinship and friendship
Germany, Blue Nile Region (Sudan), South Ethiopia, Kenya, Somaliland, Somalia
Günther Schlee was until 1999 Professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Bielefeld, having studied anthropology, romance languages and general linguistics in Hamburg. He received his doctorate for research on the belief and social systems of the Rendille, an ethnic group in northern Kenya. Alongside widespread fieldwork trips in Kenya, Ethiopia and Sudan, he was also guest lecturer in Padang (Sumatra) and at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Science Sociales in Paris. Typical of the research of Günther Schlee is the "inter-ethnic" procedure and the combining of historical, sociological and philological methods. He is the spokesperson of the International Max Planck Research School REMEP (Retaliation, Mediation and Punishment) and co-chairing the Centre for Anthropological Studies on Central Asia with Peter Finke (University of Zurich).
Presentation at the Plenary Session of the Xth Congress of Russian Ethnographers and Anthropologists “Modern Cities and Social and Cultural Modernization of Russia”, Moscow, July 2, 2013
- Collective Identification in Cities: reflections on city scale and group size (English Version).
- Kollektivnaja identičnost' gorožan : razmyšlenija o masštabach goroda i razmere gruppy (Russian Version).
- «Brisante Begegnung»
17.11.2011 - 20.05.2012, Museum of ethnology, Hamburg
- «Konflikt im Südsudan. "Ethnische Unterschiede werden instrumentalisiert» BR2 notizbuch. Interview by Tanja Zieger, broadcast on January 21st, 2014
- Max Planck Research 2007 Magazine 3 "How Enemies Are Made" by Christian Mayer
- "Ethnien und Religion sind keine Kriegsursachen" an interview with Sueddeutsche Online, October 2007
- «En Allemagne, l'immigration africaine reste très dispersée» an interview as part of the dossier : «L'Afrique à l'allemande& », La Gazette de Berlin, no. 23, 2007
- «Geteilter Riese! Droht zwischen Nord- und Südsudan ein Krieg um Grenzen?» SWR2 Kontext by Andrea Beer including an interview with Günther Schlee, SWR2, broadcast on 11.07.2011